Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Confessions of a shopaholic: I'm a shopaholic no more, and so I thought

"Have you seen the movie “Confessions of a Shopaholic”? Oh, I can so relate to this movie. I used to be a shopaholic. I used to be on a time when nothing mattered much to me but getting a new dress, some new shoes, new jeans, and new bags. Nothing mattered but to go out and shop.


Who wouldn't want to shop? Isn't it a great stress reliever? It was making me feel like I'm in control. The feeling that I could afford to go fancy and stylish. Whenever I walk inside a mall, try on some chic clothes and shoes, run to the counter to pay, 'twas always heavenly.


And take note, they all had to be branded, A labeled. Well, I wasn’t speaking Prada, Gucci, Armani, Fendi or other high-end brands because during the time, when I was still in college and within the first two years of working, those brands were simply beyond reach. However, I was speaking of brands like Lee, Adidas, Levi's and some top local brands such as Sara lee, Avon, Natasha and others. That line of Rebecca Bloomwood “underwears are human rights” was very true to me. I collected not just a few but quite a number of fancy and expensive underwears – panties and bras, and they were an obsession. Every morning, after I do my bed, I would sit in front of my closet looking at my expensive clothes and bags hanging neatly in my closet, all my shoes stuck at the corner of my room and all my underwears piled neatly in the drawer, admiring them.


And just like Rebecca, no matter how I wanted to manage my money well, no matter how I wanted to save, no matter how I wanted not to shop, whenever some fabulous finds grab my attention, I would have to get them for whatever it takes. My head spins round and round, my heart beats fast and my hands and feet sweat. Any inch of rationalism is gone.


And still, just like Rebecca, no matter how stylish and pretty she appears not to mention rich-looking, there was no peace inside. There was no feeling of contentment. The word "enough" was unknown. There was always the craving for more, and still more.


But unlike Rebecca, when she had to be embarrassed to the whole world, sued and chased for all her debit overdues and to almost lose the love of her life just to get over her uncontrollable shopaholism, I had to be alone in a foreign land, I had to be admitted for an emergency surgery for appendectomy without money, just to make me realize something was wrong. [This event happened five years back]

For three days that I was in the hospital recovering, I was reading a book. It was the book that completely changed me. The book that made me rich - "Rich dad, poor dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. It's all about what the rich teach their kids that the poor do not. It has changed my perspective towards shopping and financial management.

Lucky Rebecca and me, we got over our being a shopaholic.


For a note on my shopping, the desire to shop more is there. It does not go away. It's in the blood of all female, I guess. However, I am now in control. I only shop if needed and if I do shop, I am more practical.

These two knitted sweaters are a new add to my wardrobe. They are fancy but also very functional, multi-purpose.


What about you girls? What are your thoughts on shopping?

Photos from google

14 comments:

  1. Hi Gleen! I was a Rebecca too and I think I still have her in me. The thing is I know how to control the shopping urge now. I channel my urge to something else like raiding my closet to find items I neglected in the past.

    I love the movie and I've read all the books of Sophie Kinsella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to Rebecca from "The Confessions of a Shopaholic." I somehow end up shopping for myself even when I don't mean. ;)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you're no shopcaholic anymore :).

    At the moment I don't want to buy anything cause I have enough clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to see this movie, it looks so fun! Those sweaters look so perfect and versatile for any occasion. Also thank you for your sweet comment on my fountain post...really made me smile :)

    xoxoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have a little Rebecca in us,it just depends on if we let it control our life: ) Thats pretty hectic about what happened to you though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great post. I'm a guy and I do love shopping. I've had times in the past that I went a little overboard. Overall I've always been able to keep it in check. I definitely understand the temptations. Shopping can be so addictive and make us feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The whole time I was shopping on Black Friday I kept saying to myself (nothing for me, nothing for me) LOL! And I stuck to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post, darling! I am a recovering shopaholic too!

    And yes I would adore a link exchange ~ I will add you to my Fellow Fashionistas blogroll right now!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm such a shopaholic. I need to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I so need to see this film. I adore Becky Bloomwood - she's hilarious! And yes...I have a bit of her in me; you're talking to a shopaholic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having a bambino has totally changed my shopping habits. I always think of him first now! Doesn't change my fashion lust however. Ah ha. In response to your question...we would be happy to exchange links with you. You're up on BonBon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am such a shopaholic. Fortunately, I'm definitely far from Becky Bloomwood since I've never been in debt and don't buy tons of designer items! Although, it would be amazing to have her wardrobe, wouldn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved that movie and love this post! shopping really does make me feel better :/ haha it's sort of bad though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time and for your sweet comments. I assure to visit you back shortly. Hugs :)