Monday, May 2, 2011

Is Kate Middleton's wedding dress too simple?

Last Friday, 29th April, I knew very well that it’s the royal wedding day. Who would forget, when even a year 5 boy in my school just said out of the blue “Teacher, today is Kate’s wedding”. I was caught off guard, in the midst of a very busy day, somebody reminded me. There’s only one question that played in my head while the boy strolled away. “What is Kate Middleton wearing?”

Luckily, my location is Asia and by the time the wedding started, my day job was already done. I had the chance to see the Royal wedding live through my laptop. My hubby phoned me and said “Tune in, it’s starting.”

The Official Royal Wedding photographs

I saw Kate marched that long red aisle with her father. She was so beautiful! But while I admired her very princess beauty, I was disappointed with the dress. I was disappointed not because the dress was not elegant or pretty enough, but because I was expecting something very grand.

I settled in my seat examining the entire look, undeniably it was fabulous, conservative with some touches of modernity. After sometime I figured that I expected her to flaunt something that’s Holywood style and reminded myself that this is a Westminster Abbey wedding and royals are suppose to be conservative.

But then I compared her dress with Princess Diana’s. I think that Diana’s was far way grander, not to mention the tiaras. Indeed the dress, while stunning and elegant, was classic and understated, something that doesn't seem to portray her real personality. Isn’t she the new fashion icon?

Of course I loved the dress. Its simplicity stood out and didn’t overwhelm her. I loved her Cartier tiara, which was lent to her by the queen. It wasn’t as loud as that of Diana’s, but I’m certain it didn’t cause her headache because of weight which Diana had to endure. But there was something in the veil that I didn’t really like. I feel that the veil had shadowed the dress. Although the two meters long and adorned with reams of hand-embroidered lace train was more than enough to avenge the veil’s simplicity.

The Official Royal Wedding photographs
Her hair was worn loose and down. This is where she went modern. Not a lot of brides are brave enough to not wear their hair tight and neat. As someone who just had a wedding, I know how the hair demands significant decision.

She is very slim and her figure is perfect. The waist, with Nipped-in waistline, displayed her figure that left a lot of fashion critics in awe.

As I reflect upon the royal wedding, I couldn’t help but notice that it’s less grand than that of Prince Charles and Princess Diana's. But perhaps it’s a good sign, the new couple learned from their parents’ legacy – grandness isn’t what makes a happy marriage.

I wish them all the best.

5 comments:

  1. I also thought that the dress was beautiful but not anything special or grand. I would of loved to see something more...more embellishments or something...
    I loved the lace though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was initially disappointed as well when I saw the wedding dress. I was expecting something more outrageous from Alexander McQueen. Definitely something more princess-like.

    But the more I learned about Will & Kate, the more I realized how the dress fit her personality.

    Kate is a simple girl who really wanted a small wedding, instead of all the media flashy hype. She is also fincially savvy and does not like to spend a lot of money on fashion. Her style is very simple and elegant.

    So, now that I understand more about her, the more I realize how beautiful her dress is. It says who she is and that is all that matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello darling, I have to agree with you when it comes to that kind of stuff...seriously when I saw the telecast she was so beautiful and she also did her make-up!!!1

    I am in love with the simplicity of the gown but from the legacy of princess Diana her trail is longer compared to Kate..

    Kisses
    Sweet
    PensandLens
    @mistytewest

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jennifer, that's interesting. Perhaps people expected more from her fashion style because of how she is portrayed by the media as the new fashion icon. But I do notice that most of the time, her style is understated. There's always a simple element in her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sweet, Diana's dress was exceptional in many ways :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time and for your sweet comments. I assure to visit you back shortly. Hugs :)