Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What I Fancy - Huffy Women's Deluxe Cruiser Bike in Mint Green

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. ~Author Unknown

There´s this debate about minimalism at one blog which I recently came across. If you´re familiar with Leo Babauta, the author of Zen Habits, he promotes minimalism and as such, he doesn´t own a car. Well, he also doesn´t own a smart phone. Darn, I should have read that post about the benefits of not owning a smart phone before hubby bought me one a couple of months back. But this topic needs another blog post. Oh, and Leo also doesn´t own a hair, well at least not a single hair on top of his head. Although he didn´t admit it, he must have other hair below the neck.

So the article was questioning if Leo indeed leads a minimalistic lifestyle considering that he moved his family from a humble Guam to a more diversified San Francisco. But what caught my attention was the comment of a guy who claims that he doesn´t own a car, does that qualify him as a minimalist? Wait until the end of his comment, you´ll find out that he´s got four bicycles.

He doesn´t own a car because he prefers to ride a bike. It´s more freeing, it conserves energy, and it´s healthy. Although he´s clearly ain´t a minimalist.

In fact, I take the same stance. While other immigrant girls who arrived here in Europe around the same time when I came have already purchased a car, and they´re kind of feeling proud that they´re already driving - one even commented that I too should get myself a car now so that I would be independent from my husband - I don´t find it necessary.

For once, I´m a stay-at-home wife, and second, acquiring a car is easier than maintaining it. With all the taxes and insurances? I´d rather take the bus whenever hubby isn´t available to drive me, thus saving money.

But while I don´t fancy a car, I fancy a bike. More than a year ago I talked about Dolce & Gabbana Leopard Print Bicycle vs Affordable Fashionista Custom Cruiser at the blogazine. In that post I covered how many fashion enthusiasts find it fashionable to ride a cruiser bike.

Take a look at this cruiser bike in mint green, isn´t it adorable? Don´t you find it fashionable? Imagine riding it around the countryside, how freeing! I think of how many outfits I´d take with it? A lot.

I´m certainly not a minimalist in a fashion sense, although I seriously consider selling some of my shoes, but I would surely opt for a bike instead of a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time and for your sweet comments. I assure to visit you back shortly. Hugs :)